The Department of State Hospitals (DSH) – Atascadero is committed to the professional development of our staff. DSH - Atascadero is one of the largest forensic mental health facilities in the world. The hospital specializes in the treatment of adult male psychiatric patients and is fully accredited by the Joint Commission.
Training and professional education programs, which enhance professional skills and competence, are provided by the hospital on a continuous basis. Opportunities for physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, pharmacists, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, nurses, and psychiatric technicians to meet all or most of their continuing educational requirements are provided onsite through attendance at bimonthly colloquia and case conferences and special workshops which cover pertinent topics presented by locally and nationally known experts.
As a forensic training center, DSH - Atascadero provides educational experience to students and interns as well. These include:
- Clinical Psychology Internship Program
- Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship Program
- Hospital Police Officer Training
- Music Therapy Internship
- Pharmacist Internship Program
- Psychiatric Technician Trainee Program
- Recreational Therapy Internship
- Registered Nurse Clinical Rotation
- Social Work Internship Program