How to Become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Department of State Hospitals (DSH) – Napa, located in the beautiful Napa Valley, is a low to moderate-security psychiatric hospital. The hospital admits patients who have been referred from their home county under a civil commitment or through the courts on a forensic commitment. All patients admitted to DSH-Napa suffer from a major mental illness.
The Dietetic Internship Program is an 11-month generalized program with a concentration on mental health nutrition that accepts six interns per year. The program is currently granted accreditation status by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Guided by its standards, the program prepares students who have completed the requirements of a didactic program in dietetics by providing a structured curriculum of practicum experiences that qualify graduates to take the registration exam for Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
In order to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist you need to:
- Complete a minimum of a bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college and course work accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). (Effective January 1, 2024, CDR will require a minimum of a graduate degree for entry-level registration eligibility).
- Complete an ACEND-accredited supervised practice program at a health-care facility, community agency, or a foodservice corporation or combined with undergraduate or graduate studies. Typically, a practice program will run six to 12 months in length.
- Pass a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). For more information regarding the examination, refer to CDR’s website at www.cdrnet.org.
- State licensure is required to practice dietetics in some states. For more information regarding state licensure or certification, refer to CDR’s website at www.cdrnet.org.
- Complete continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
(800) 877-1600, extension 5400